Home / Uncategorized / Matar- Bhuja
13 April, 2010

Matar- Bhuja

Comments : 12 Posted in : Uncategorized on by : Sonali

Bhuja- people outside bihar would rarely know what does it mean? But I m sure if u r a bihari or have been there even for a short visit, there r chances that u were served this as an evening snack. We have its different form there, chura ka bhuja, makai ka bhuja , chana ka bhuja etc. but the most famous & easily made at home is chura ka bhuja, my fatherโ€™s favourite evening snack. So, today I m here with another delicacy from bihar.

U will need: For Matar, 250gm green peas, 1 tbspn mustard oil, 1 large onion finely chopped, ยฝ tspn turmeric powder, salt to taste.
For Bhuja, 250 gm chidwa (or chura as called in Bihar), 1 tbspn ghee, salt to taste.

First of all, heat kadai properly. Add ghee. Add chidwa to heated ghee & keep stirring continuously. When chidwa turns slightly brown, add salt & switch off the stove. Bhuja is ready.
Keep aside the bhuja in a plate. Again heat the kadai. Add oil. Add onion. When onion turns slightly red, add matar ( green peas). After a while add turmeric powder & salt. Cook with lid on. In approx. 5 minutes u r done. Stir well after 2 minutes.
You r ready with unusual yummy platter of evening snack

Tip of the Day: fry bhuja on medium flame & dnt stop stirring. keep low flame while preparing matar.

12s COMMENTS

12 thoughts on : Matar- Bhuja

• Anonymous
    January 23, 2014 at 2:33 am

Hi,

My parents are from Bihar (I'm from Pakistan). And yes, I know what bhujia is :).

I came across your blog by chance. What I like most is that the recipes are easy, and most of the ingredients are available in the kitchen. Thanks for taking the initiative to write a blog and posting your recipes.

I plan to follow some of them soon โ€“ hopefully starting this weekend.

regards,
    Saba

• February 19, 2014 at 5:52 am

Dear Saba, Wow good to know that. Do tell..when you try any of the recipes.

P.S. I think you meant bhuja not bhujia…:) ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
    February 19, 2014 at 2:51 am

When do you add Bhuja?

• February 19, 2014 at 5:51 am

We dont add bhuja to the cooked matar . You serve it in a plate side by side and mix it while eating; else cooked matar will soften the crispy bhuja.

• Anonymous
    April 26, 2014 at 6:36 am

Dear Sonali,

I've started cooking Bihari food now (earlier I used to cook Punjabi, Sindhi food). With time I realize that Bihari food is simple, not too oily and relatively healthy.

I've shared the link with my family.

Keep on posting your experiments – we're certainly enjoying following the simple recipes.

Regards,
    Saba
    (Karachi)

• October 8, 2015 at 2:25 pm

don't we have to add chillies to it?

• October 12, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Hey, sure you can add chillies as per your taste…

• April 20, 2016 at 11:09 am

๐Ÿ™‚ I am so tempted to eat.

• May 27, 2016 at 5:56 am

I too make this except we fry the chura ๐Ÿ™‚ Less healthy I admit but so so tasty ! Have made the matar with chopped tomatoes added towards the end too. Makes for a nice change.

• May 28, 2016 at 5:13 am

Dear unknown, we too do that sometimes. Tomatoes goes well with green peas but we do not add while serving it with chura fry. But yes, it's a nice change. ๐Ÿ™‚ tomato lovers can do that.

• May 28, 2016 at 5:13 am